Skip to main content

Ordinary Day

(No) Ordinary Day

If you've experienced a catastrophic life event, or major stumbling block (chances are, if you're over 30, you have. If you haven't, God bless you, and pass me some of your mojo!), you know there's no such thing as an ordinary day. Ordinary days are magic, if only for the fact you faced neither calamity nor miracle. The "no calamity" part is self-explanatory. No miracles, from where I hang, upside down at the bottom of the world, suits me just fine. When life floats on an even keel, you don't look for miracles; You seek instead to adapt to the inevitability of change.

So here, in a paua shell, is my ordinary Kiwi day, April 6th, 2011:

6:45 a.m.:  Wake up atop a new electric blanket. I've been simmering on "low" for 8 hours. The nights are getting cooler as we move into autumn (they don't say "fall" here).
6:55 a.m.: I hear voices in the kitchen: Fiona and Finley, plus our flat mate, Amy, and her 4 and-a-half-year-old daughter, Blythe. Amy's making crepes and the kids are eating faster than she can cook. "I want cinnamon on mine!" says Finley
7:00 Drink coffee with soy milk and fake sugar. Eat cereal with bananas. Amy has another crepe ready and asks what I'd like on it. "Cinnamon, please."
7:10 Amy gives me the last crepe.
7:30 Pack lunches for Fiona, Finley, Blythe and I. The kids are going to school, and so am I, to volunteer in Fiona's class
7:45 Check to see if my kids are dressed. Nope. They're playing Bey Blades (a spinning top-like toy) in Fi & Finn's room. "Get dressed now!" I tell them.
8:00 Check Facebook and e-mail before getting dressed. Put on the one pair of black pants I own (nylon travel pants) and new red shirt I bought at the local Kmart. Perfect for hiking The Mount.
8:30 Ask Fiona to apply sunblock, and help Finley with his, too. Apply own sunblock from a 1 litre pump jug.
8:44 Backpacks? Check. Ukulele? Check. Drive kids to school.
8:56 Arrive at school with just minutes to spare before the bell rings. Fi & Finn scatter before I can kiss them goodbye. Oh, well, I"m returning at 10:30 to volunteer in Fiona's class.
9:10 I have plenty of time to hike The Mount before returning to school. I'm not running because that would make me too sweaty. Don't want to marinate for 2 hours afterwards, and I'm sure no one else wants that, either! Pass grazing sheep on the walk up. They've just gotten hair cuts. Apparently, they frequent the same salon as me: The one where you ask the stylist to cut 1 inch, and she whacks 4.
9:30 Stand at the top of Mt. Maunganui and take in the view: Harbor on the right, ocean on the left. Ahead, a peninsula with apartments, homes, schools, parks and stores stretches for kilometers.
View from top of Mt. Maunganui (Mauao)

Sit for 5 minutes, watch jet skis in the ocean, which is calm this morning. Walk around the top of the Mount. I haven't seen this view in awhile, have I? Wait a minute: I run this trail each week. But usually, I'm heading the other way and concentrating on not tripping. No wonder the view looks new.
10:10 Sit on a bench at the boardwalk and read the latest NZ "Woman's Day" magazine. Catch up on Prince William's impending nuptials. Feel informed.
10:30 Back to the primary school to volunteer. The "tea time" bell is ringing. Greet Fiona's teacher, Mr. Parry, and walk with him to the inner sanctum: the teacher's lounge. Grab a mug of tea and 2 crackers. Spread 1 with a thin layer of Vegemite. Surprised to find it tastes good. Talk to Mr. Parry and 2 other male teachers (only a handful of blokes teach at Fi's school). Fiona's teacher also sends his daughter to this school, even though they live in another district. "It's convenient for us, and it's a great little school. The kids are so innocent. It's a nice, slow pace of life. I've taught in Wellington and city life was different - lots of people in apartments, rushing around... My daughter goes to school with bare feet. They're like feral children here." Another teacher asks if my husband works in town. "No," I say. "He died last year." His face falls. I feel like saying, "It's okay, I live with it every day. Apologies for dropping that one on you." I nod my head instead as he says, "Sorry about that. I suppose a new environment is good." Indeed.
[To be continued...]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th