Skip to main content

Distraction and Renewal in Wellys

Distraction and Renewal in Wellys


Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia!
Our triumphant holy day, Alleluia!


It's Easter Sunday, and I'm standing in a pew at St. John's church – not my St. John's in Spokane, Washington, but St. John's in the City in Wellington, New Zealand. http://www.stjohnsinthecity.org.nz/ The name is about the closest we'll come to our home parish for awhile.

Who did once upon the cross, Alleluia!
Suffer to redeem our loss. Alleluia!


I've sang this hymn ever since I was a kid in junior choir at St. Peter's Episcopal in Ashtabula, Ohio. Maybe you know it, too. Hum a few bars. I'll wait...

Hymns of praise then let us sing, Alleluia!
Unto Christ, our heavenly king, Alleluia!


I'm thinking about all the years I've sung this song, and what's happened during those years: marriage, 2 babies, death, grief, hope, and now – renewal. And I'm fighting back tears. "Don't cry," I tell myself. "The mascara's not waterproof. No one wants to see an Easter raccoon. I sure don't." The voice in my head wins – this time. No raccoons in the sanctuary.

One of the priests at the Presbyterian church is praying to Jesus: "Help us to trust your power to create new life and make us new." Make us new. Fiona and Finley probably don't understand that's what this world tour, this interlude, is about. Not only are we making new memories; we're creating new spaces in our brains that allow us to re-imagine our lives. You ask lots of questions away from your normal haunts, outside your usual routine. Questions that start with "What if...?;" "How could we...?" and "Why not...?"

We've been blessed to meet exactly the people we've needed for his journey. We started our day with Amanda (who moved to Wellington with her husband and 4 children a year ago), plus Amanda's Mom, Dad and Uncle. We occupied an entire row at St. John's. We ate lunch together, and Fi and Finn made new friends with Amanda's 7-year-old twins.

Along with the traveling, meeting, greeting and eating, distraction flits around like a butterfly. I grapple with intermittent bursts of compulsive text messaging. I'm like a 17-year-old, minus the lightning-fast fingers. I was proud of myself for ditching my smart phone – the one with Internet, GPS, and a flashlight – the one that did nearly everything but cook dinner – after we left the States. I was hooked on that beeping, ringing, blinking Droid phone, constantly updating Facebook or checking e-mail. Fiona would see me and say, "Mommy, Daddy says get off your phone." I got off the phone quickly after learning it wouldn't work overseas. Addiction licked. I've spent half a year clean and cellular sober – until a couple weeks ago. That's when the object of my affliction (OMA, for short) and I started texting like teenagers. He left for a 2-week holiday, and, well, you want to keep in touch, right? Texting is what you do in New Zealand. Mobile phone service is pretty spendy, so everyone texts. Even businesses text appointment reminders. I have zero appointments this week, but am sending and receiving a couple dozen texts each day. I'm slow on the sending part, because I have an old-fashioned keyboard requiring several button pushes for most letters of the alphabet. Fiona's noticed, too: She'll catch me cradling my phone and say, "Mommy, why are you laughing? No laughing at your phone. Or smiling." You can't get anything past Fiona.

It's not that bad, really. I've plenty of time between messages to visit museums, walk, talk and eat. The kids and I sat for an hour at Plum cafe in downtown Wellington Easter Sunday. Fiona and Finley split a pot of peppermint tea and a cinnamon scone while drawing on sheet after sheet of notebook paper. Fiona drew a picture of me reading the newspaper. The detail's precise, down to the design on my necklace. We made our second trip to New Zealand's national museum, Te Papa, so I could see the Brian Brake photojournalism exhibit, and Finley could have another crack at the hula hoop at the kids' discovery centre.http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/pages/default.aspx It was a win-win: Finn got to shake his little hips, and I got to see a picture of Pablo Picasso at a bullfight with his young son's fingers in his mouth.

Back at the "ratpacker's" (backpacker's, or hostel), I boiled quick noodles for dinner with a bean soup mix that never got cooked enough – the lentils remained a bit crunchy. Fiona asked, "Are there nuts in here?" Uh, no, honey, just eat it . Finley was distracted (as always), this time by a 20-year-old backpacker making eyes at him from her place on the sofa in the TV lounge. "Mom, she keeps looking at me!" said Finn. I told him, "That's because you're cute. Just eat." (I say 'just eat' a lot...) I sudsed the kids in the shower next to our room on the 5th floor and did a double-take when a large man emerged from a nearby toilet stall. Co-ed bathrooms. Of course.

Between sightseeing, coercing kids to eat, walking and driving, I flick a text message or 12. Not that anyone's noticed. Except Fiona. Stop looking at the phone. Stop looking at the... Oh, wait...gotta go. I have another text message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th