Skip to main content

Photo Shoot

Photo Shoot

The kids and I had professional pictures taken at the beach today in Mt. Maunganui. I've shot hundreds, maybe thousands of photos of Fiona and Finley on our world tour. I've tried to stretch my arm an extra few inches, dozens of times, to snap myself. But there's something about having a pro take the shots. They look better, and I get to make an appearance without asking a passerby: "Please take a picture; It's the silver button on top." Invariably, Passerby will stand way back and snap the photo. It's the wide-shot version of our lives. The slightly askew version. Sometimes, you want the well-framed close up.

I asked my friend, Jade, to recommend a Bay of Plenty photographer. She suggested Bridget Nickel. http://www.bridgetnickelphotography.com/ Bridget's website shows smiling families at the beach; around a tractor; on a trampoline. It's the kind of slice-of-real-life photography I found at home in Spokane from pros like Nikki Beylea http://www.moxieimages.com/ and Barb Chase. http://www.fineartbybarb.com/ The kind of pictures Sean, who was a professional videographer, used to take.

Nikki created our last set of family portraits at Manito Park in Spokane. It was October, 2009, and Sean lay in the hospital. Nikki volunteered her services. I didn't know at the time the "Party of 3" theme would apply to Fiona, Finley and I indefinitely. Nikki captured the kids playing in autumn leaves, standing near a tree, jumping, running... Then, she snapped the three of us together – a Mom and 2 kids. The pictures always tell the story, don't they? I printed several of those shots and taped them to the walls of Sean's hospital rooms. He moved between 3 facilities and at least 8 rooms. The photos moved, too. Leave one room - take the pictures. Enter another room – put them up again. Repeat, repeat, repeat... Those photos were priceless, and Sean loved them, too: "The one of Fiona and Finley near the tree," he said, "Put that in front of me, where I can see it."

Which pictures would I want in my bedroom or hospital room, whether healthy or sick? I want Fiona and Finley, laughing on the beach. I want to see the 3 of us against the backdrop of the iconic Mt. Maunganui, the extinct volcano that's become a source of orientation, recreation and fascination the past few months. I want to look at digital reproductions of blue sea and sky when I can't walk my own feet to the sand.

That's why I hired Bridget. Not simply to take pictures, but to tell our story. To capture this brief interlude – the New Zealand limbo. The place – geographically and psychologically - that allowed us to pause and allowed me to re-imagine our family as Party of 3. The place that still seems more fantasy than reality. Someday, I'll wake up to our new "real lives" in the States. I'll need evidence we were really ever here.

Getting the pictures, however, takes work. Before the shoot even started, Fiona had mucked up her black NZ t-shirt, and Finley was complaining his new track pants were falling down. Wind whipped hair into my lip gloss. The kids threw sand. This wasn't going to be easy.

Bridget, a young mum of a one-year-old boy, had an easy manner with the kids and took around 300 shots. She said, "I've had several families with young children say they felt the shoot was a train wreck. Then they're amazed to have good pictures. There are always some gems in there." I hope so, despite the fact Fiona and Finley sang, threw driftwood, collected shells and picked grass when they should've been smiling for the camera. The late afternoon sun was fickle, too. Most of the time it turned The Mount a hazy shade of gray. During the rare moments it passed behind a cloud, the kids may or may not have cracked a smile. Finley prefers something he calls the "baby face:" a bee-stung, lippy pout. I'm not buying "baby face" pics.

I brought the final teaspoons of Sean's ashes to the shoot in a Ziploc bag. The kids and I have scattered ashes from Ireland to South Africa to Australia to New Zealand's Coromandel Peninsula. I'd saved the last bits for Fiji and Hawaii. We still have a box of ashes in Washington, but this particular plastic bag, earmarked for the world tour, was nearly empty. I decided it was time to let it go. Fi and Finn insisted on burying several teaspoons of ash in the sand before flinging them into the ocean. I grabbed a fistful and sprinkled the water. The ashes whitened my palms, as if I'd been cleaning erasers at school (back when schools had blackboards and chalk). I thought of how honored I'd be (posthumously, of course, drifting or sparking Out There) if someone dirtied their hands in my earthly remains. Thanks, in advance.

Bridget snapped running-in-sand pictures; sitting-in-dunes pictures, and flinging-ash pictures. After an hour and 15 minutes, we were done - almost. "Would you like me to take one of just you?" Bridget asked. I hadn't considered a solo pic. "Yes," I said. "We're here – might as well." I can't wait to see what develops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th