Skip to main content

Afflicted

Afflicted

New Zealand is supposed to be one of the safest places on earth. It consistently ranks on those travel website/magazine lists, thanks to geographic isolation, nuclear-free status, and low crime rate (no mention of the fact NZ is riddled with fault lines and sprinkled with live volcanoes). http://www.expatify.com/advice/10-best-places-to-live-for-escaping-world-conflict.html Anyways, I feel safe here.

But even a safe place has sand traps – benign pockets of silica that can ensnare you (such as NZ's 10,000/16,000 miles/kilometers of coastline). Before you know it, you're affected, or even worse – afflicted.

I may have caught something here. I'm sure it's not serious, because I've only had it a few days. These bugs can stuff you up, though. I know exactly where I got afflicted- in the middle of downtown Mt. Maunganui, on the sidewalk. It was dark, I'd had some wine, and maybe wasn't as cautious as I should've been. My big feet have a way of tripping me. Before you could say "Aotearoa" 10 times, fast, I was afflicted.

I've been afflicted just a few times before, mostly in my teens and 20's. I recognized the symptoms immediately. Maybe you've had them, too: racing heart, goose bumps, weak knees, watery eyes... Then there's insomnia. I'd struggled with wakefulness before my most recent affliction, but this is a different kind of mind-restlessness. Think Monkey Brain on crack, which exacerbates another symptom - inability to concentrate. I daydream. Stare at long white clouds. I've caught myself sighing out loud in my car, and while walking down the sidewalk. Don't tell anyone. 
 
The affliction can be embarrassing, especially for someone my age. I wasn't sure grown-ups got this stuff. Especially not grown-ups with 2 small children, a closet containing ashes and a garage holding baggage. Surely, I'm too old and too smart for this. I could've sworn I'd been inoculated. Makes you wonder – does the vaccine's power fade with time?
Today at Tay Street Beach, The Mount

Maybe I should "call a spade a spade." Ditch metaphor, "name and claim..." How do you comply with cliche when cliches don't fit? What if your spade's really a spoon or a bulldozer? I could call this a crush or the start of a fling, but neither seem right (I do, however, like the word my flatmate uses, which is "twitterpated"). I'm not Marcia Brady or Carrie Bradshaw. My script writers went on strike a few seasons ago (I'm pretty sure they're French - frequent strikes are de rigeur in France:).

Since whatever-it-is includes physical symptoms, I'm calling it affliction. A happy affliction, made sweeter by the fact I'm shocked as hell I'm afflicted at all.

Imagine you're a pilot, and your last aircraft crashed and burned. Somehow, you climbed out, scarred and alive, but your plane's gone. You're afraid to fly, and not sure if you could – or should - again. Wave goodbye to your pilot's license as it flutters to earth from 31,000 feet. You feared you were too old to pass the medical exam. Too cerebrally scarred to push or pull a yoke. Behind the controls again, I alert passengers to my history, and advise them I may not have the heart for a long ride.

Does an affliction "cure" drift on the edge of the Pacific's cerulean horizon? I don't know. I've heard there's not much you can do except wait. Affliction may last days, weeks, even months... You only get a single day, each day. No more, no less. 24 hours to embrace or avoid a moment that could be yours. Escape affliction, risk nothing, or accept and enjoy.

I haven't the will at the moment to escape. Sure, I could avoid known triggers: spicy food, red wine, chocolate, physical contact and Australian aboriginal techno music. I won't do that – not today. I'm like a bodybuilder who, for months, has been on a strict diet of chicken breasts, egg whites, broccoli and oatmeal. If, after the competition, you slide a plate of steak, onion rings and cheesecake under my nose, I'm likely to overindulge (I've witnessed this binge - literally – only the bodybuilder wasn't me).

I won't gorge on cheesecake (not my favorite), or even chocolate cake. I doubt that'll cure the affliction. I will listen to intuition, which tells me a racing heart and weak knees contribute to good mental health. I might crash again tomorrow, but at least I flew today.

Comments

  1. I love your metaphor, but I find I can't let even well-expressed metaphors or poetry just BE. I'm just asking the 5 W's and the H...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    You mean: Who, What, When, Where, Why? Hmmmm.... He reads this stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go with the flow, let it lead you where it does. Just please, enjoy the ride. After all, like you said "Don't feel guilty for being alive." I am happy for ya hun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anngele. I'm working on that one...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th