Skip to main content

Leaving Home

Pisa, Italy, 2008

When you’ve seen, felt, even smelled how quickly life as most of us know it can unwind, the phrase, “life is short,” isn’t cliché or abstract, it’s real. So if you’ve ever had a wish or wild hair, you know the time to act is now. That’s why I’m planning to take a big “time out” to travel with the kids. The plan: travel internationally for about a year.

World Experience

Travel, and opening our door to people from other countries, was part of Sean’s life and mine before we met. I lived in Luxembourg as a high school exchange student for a year, and stayed in the Grand Duchy again for 6 months while in college. Sean hosted a German exchange student, Max, before we met. Together, we hosted a Swiss student, Angi, before we had kids. Anne, also from Switzerland, nannied for us for half a year after Fiona and Finley came along.

Sean and I sent ourselves on a belated 3-week honeymoon to Europe in 2001, then to St. Lucia in 2003. After Fiona arrived in 2004, when she was about a month old, I asked her doctor how soon I could bring her on a plane. “She’s healthy,” He said. “You can take her now. Babies need to eat, sleep and poop. As long as Fiona can do those things, she’ll be fine.” Fi and I flew to South Carolina two weeks after that conversation. She performed her duties (or, her “doodies”), and I ran a 15 kilometer race.

Have Diapers, will Travel

Fiona got her first passport when she was one year old; shortly after, Sean and I took her to Switzerland and Portugal for two weeks. Still eating, sleeping and pooping, Fi adjusted well. She survived an 8-hour transatlantic flight, car trips on windy mountain roads, and parents who ate too much Swiss cheese and Portuguese salted codfish.

We brought Fiona and new baby brother, Finley, to Mexico in 2006 when Finn was three months old. He nursed quietly on the plane, and we were delighted when the passenger behind us said, “I didn’t realize you had a baby up there.” Another Stanelun traveler had entered the flying fold.

No one marveled at silent children on the flight to or from Italy in 2008. By then, Finn was almost 3: Fiona was 4. They made noisy American entrances, exits, chomped previously-chewed gum and lunged at train tracks. They slurped fettuccine and enjoyed (a little too much!) their first sips of (non-communion) wine. Italians called them “bella,” (beautiful) and “bambino” (“child,” to which Finley remarked, “I’m not a bad beano; I’m a good beano.”

Global Fantasy Meets Local Reality

You know the saying about making lemonade from lemons? My fantasy version of lemonade is more than the American warehouse club container of corn syrup and yellow dye #4. I want limoncello from Italy, limonade from Germany, citronnade from France… Of course, we don’t always get what we want. Sometimes, I think plan is a four-letter word. I’ve witnessed too many plans splattered on life’s windshield like a gnat. That’s why I haven’t, until now, told the masses (okay, all 3 of you still reading this) about my plans. I’m skeptical of my abilities to rent, dismantle and pack up an entire house, coordinate at least the first few legs of our journey, plus take a couple domestic trips with the kids before leaving Spokane August 13th.

Trip Delayed = Trip Denied?

Why the rush? A few logistical factors: 1) my dad has rented an apartment in Paris during September; 2) I’d like to visit other friends in Europe in October; 3) I figure once we’ve started traveling, why risk re-entry back to our “normal lives” before setting out again? Then, there’s the mental stuff: As a well-traveled, wiser friend pointed out, if we wait another year to launch our adventure, we may not launch at all. By then, we’ll be more settled. Fiona will enter 2nd grade in 2011; Finley will start kindergarten. I’ll be another year older, with nagging health issues more likely to worsen with time than improve. Better to cut and run now before the next year of school, next diagnosis, next catastrophe that will tie us to a major medical center for an extended term.

Your World is a Box

When someone you love is critically ill, your world gets smaller each day. You make the same drive to the hospital, park in the same garage, and walk the same path (take the elevator from “L6” to “M,” turn right, left, right again, take the Tower elevators to floor 2, or 5, or 6, or 8, or, God forbid, back to floor 2 – the ICU). You cancel almost every plan you had. You stop looking at the calendar, especially as holidays approach, and you watch helplessly as hope for a homecoming disintegrates.

Nearly everyone you know will visit Disneyland or Hawaii during this time. The rest will fly to Arizona or Las Vegas. Meanwhile, you eat standing up in a hospital room or in the cafeteria. You get a furlough for work, children’s events, to sleep, for church, and even to visit with friends. But you remember, always, you are tethered. Even a long leash is still a leash. You are painfully aware your loved one lives in an infinitely smaller box. You feel guilty. You suck it up, go to bed, and wake up the next morning to start all over again.

Opportunity Knocks

For this sliver of time, the kids and I not tied to an institution. That could change tomorrow. So I’ve hired a property manager who’ll help rent and oversee our house while we’re gone and a travel agent to (hopefully) save me from the time suck of online bargain shopping. If (and this is a HUGE if) I can get organized enough to donate, sell, pack and find a place to store our things, we’ll leave Spokane August 13th and return about one year later.

Sean and I talked about spending a year abroad during the 10 years we were married. He even encouraged me to apply for an Irish passport (my grandfather was born in Northern Ireland), which I received in 2003. While Sean was not the plan-the-itinerary guy, he had the vision and the enthusiasm for someday reinventing ourselves somewhere else that was in line with my own desires.

My (tentative) plan: visit family and friends in Michigan, Ohio and Florida mid-August before arriving in Paris September 5th (my 40th birthday). Spend 3 weeks in Paris with my dad and his wife; linger another 6 weeks in Europe (staying with friends, and other home stays if I can arrange them) before heading to South Africa for a month to stay with a friend. Then, onto Australia for 3 weeks and New Zealand for 6 months, where Fiona and Finley will attend primary school.

Birth of a Kiwi Dream

Why New Zealand? Two days after Sean died, I spoke with a woman who was widowed 8 years ago, leaving her to raise 4 children on her own. Suzanne said, “We honor him by living the best and most vital life we can.” She recommended 2 books: One about grief, the other about travel (called, One Year Off, it’s the true story of a family’s trip around the world). Suzanne moved her family to Hamilton, New Zealand for a year after her husband died. She said, “The kids loved having that opportunity…the youngest, who did kindergarten, even took home a New Zealand accent.” It was also a respite from pity, a way to go to the grocery store without hearing, "I'm so sorry..."

 Fiona and Finley know we’re taking a trip. Fiona wants to see penguins, and Finley wants desperately to be in kindergarten, which he can start next February in New Zealand. Finn also sometimes says, “I don’t want to leave our world,” and Fiona asks me to stop talking about the trip so she can tell me about a new game, or beg for ice cream.

Before and After

I spoke recently to a friend of a friend who backpacked around the world in 2003 with her husband. She said, “Our lives are divided in half: There’s ‘before the trip,’ and ‘after the trip.’”

What a hopeful statement. Our pivotal family moment is, and may always be, Sean’s death. But it doesn’t have to define the rest of our lives.

I know I can’t outrun grief (I do try, though). Grief will find me anywhere on the planet. That’s okay. I don’t want to grieve this lost opportunity. That scares me more than broken bones abroad, homesickness, lost luggage and frustration (all of which are likely on this journey). And Sean will be with us…in spirit, and in ashes. He travels still.

Comments

  1. You are a woman with real class, Dawn, real class.

    -Jim Rahn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, then, there's some packing to do and more tossing and lots of boxing things up and things indeed to keep you busy until mid-August at which point the three of you put on your wings and fly. It's always good to view things from that vantage point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kudos Dawn! I wish you the best, don't forget us in Spokane! Looking forward to reading about your travels and adventures abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several chapters in a persons life, each chapter has to end sometime, but a new one begins. My only hope is that when you reach the end of your book, you put it down with a sigh, a tinge if regret, and a burning for the sequel.. write your sequel Dawn. We are in suspense, wondering where your story will take you (and us) next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a wonderful writer Dawn and I think what you are about to undertake will be an amazing experience. I look forward to reading your blog as you make your way around the world. On a side note, where in FL will you be in August? I'd love to see you if you are anywhere near Orlando.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Dawn! If I didn't know about all the other trips you and Sean took with the kids all over the place, I would have said that you'd lost your mind! I sometimes dread taking the kids to the grocery store....much less on an airplane away from home. A trip such as you're planning would be a source of never ending stress for me----but it sounds like it will be the complete opposite for you. I look forward to reading about all your adventures with the kids across the globe (In fact, I think it would be great material for a book). I hope this adventure fulfills everything you need it to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend,
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

    Many, many blessings on you - embrace this life fully and enjoy every single moment. Cheering for you, Sally
    PS - if you need help packing, I have moved more times in my life than I can count...become quite an expert at packing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so so proud of you Dawn, you are an amazing woman and we can't wait to hear your stories from afar;)
    What a wise thing to do for the three of you right now...it is a wonderful time to see the world.
    Love, Rebekka

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn,
    Wow. I've always thought you were amazing, and now I don't even have a word to describe you and what you are doing. I can't wait to read about your adventures and the experiences you have with the kids over the next year. I think this could start a movement of "making life up as we go" for your followers. Awesome. Best wishes for a fantastic year! love, Corey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn,
    Have the time of your life! You will be missed!
    Boomie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say it again....YOU GO GIRL! I studied abroud in Florence, Italy and loved every weekend that I traveled around the neighboring cities. I have promised my husband when our children are older to take all of us back there to share my experiences. Drink lots of lemonade for me, you deserve it and the kids will have such wonderful memories. Oh, and please keep up with facebook, I will look forward to your posts! If you need help moving in/out of home/storage just say the date/time I would love to help!

    Dorcey Earle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to hear more! How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th