Skip to main content

List Mania - Songs Heard 'Round the World

List Mania- Songs Heard 'Round the World

Music makes the moment. You remember where you were and who was there when a song played on radio, at a concert, on CD, cassette (if you're, ahem, older than 30), or lately, on the Internet. Here (in no particular order) is a partial list of songs we've heard on our round-the-world trip. Most have hit radio pop charts on several continents. Other artists, like TKZee and Brooke Fraser, I've learned about only after attending concerts in South Africa and New Zealand. Some of the older stuff – Seal, Simply Red and Mariah Carey – are cassettes I bought in New Zealand to play in my 1986 Honda's Alpine stereo system. Rock on, world. Rock on.

Just the Way you Are- Bruno Mars

What's My Name? - Rihanna

Future Love Paradise – Seal

Enough – Simply Red

Anytime You Need a Friend; Now That I know; I've Been Thinking About You – Mariah Carey

Love the Way You Lie – Eminem (with Rhianna)

California Gurls – Katy Perry

There Goes my Baby – Usher
Fiona, Finley and Jean at Brooke Fraser concert, NZ

Something in the Water; Betty – Brooke Fraser (concert in Tauranga, New Zealand)

Grenade – Bruno Mars

Who's That Girl (Walking in the Club) Guy Sebastian
Lionel Richie, Napier, New Zealand

Hello – Lionel Richie (We attended this concert in New Zealand): http://pickendawn.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-feeling.html

Brickhouse – Commodores

Saturday Night – Jessica Mauboy (saw her in Melbourne, Australia, with Oprah)

Waiting for TKZee in Cape Town, S. Africa

Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Cape Town

I Know that You're Somewhere Out There – TKZee (concert at Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, Cape Town, South Africa)

Dynamite – Taio Cruz

Firework – Katy Perry

In My Head - Jason DeRulo

Club Can't Handle Me – Flo Rida

If I Had You – Adam Lambert

Alejandro – Lady Gaga

DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love – Usher (I remember hearing this in Paris last September)

Take It Off – Ke$sha

King of Anything – Sara Bareilles

Yeah (3X) Chris Brown

Bulletproof – La Roux

Rude Boy – Rihanna

Haven't Met You Yet – Michael Buble

Barbra Streisand – Duck Sauce

Raise Your Glass – Pink

Tonight I'm Lovin' You - Enrique Iglesias

Only Girl in the World -Rihanna

Teenage Dream – Katy Perry

Like a G 6 - Far East Movement (kids think this song's lyrics are "Like a Cheese Stick")

Round and Round – Ratt (not playing in my car, or on pop radio, but my friend, Paul, posted the video to his Facebook page, and I couldn't get it out of my head for days).

Lovesick – Sweet Talk Radio (awesome CD given to me by singer/songwriter friend, Cheryl)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th