Skip to main content

A Night with Maori and Yanks -"Ah know Amairi-cun"

A Night with Maori and Yanks - "Ah know Amairi-cun"

A Kiwi friend and I took our kids to see a Maori (native New Zealand peoples) performance and eat a hangi (food cooked in the ground) tonight. Just us, 4 kids, and dozens of visitors from countries around the world including the U.S., Canada, Germany and India. As we were waiting for the ceremonial Waka (canoe) to arrive, one of the Americans with a tour group name tag asked Fiona if she was from New Zealand. "No," said Fiona. "I'm from America." The woman (a Texan named Diann) said in her twang, "Nah, ya'll ain't from Amair-ica. Where in the States do you live?" Fiona replied, "Spokane, Washington." Diann said, "Ah know Amairi-cun, and you sound lahk your from hay-uhr. You must pick up languages quick." Then the Texan told me, "You should git her in a language class."

Maybe it's a Texas thing, but Fiona sounds to me like a plain 'ole American kid to me. She's picked up some Kiwi, telling me today she has a "rubber [eraser] that smells like lemons." She asks me to make sure I've packed her "togs" (swimsuit) for school. And I bet she'll be the only kid in her 2nd grade class in Spokane who can say "hello," and "welcome" in Maori.

Comments

  1. Sharon spent 7 years in the Netherlands while her children were from about 1 year to 11. (two kids) Today still, both speak Dutch without an American accent, and English with an American accent. One also is fluent in ASL. Sharon can tell you about a Dutch man arguing that her son wasn't American because he answered in Dutch, saying he couldn't answer in English. He couldn't because he wasn't allowed to speak a different language than was spoken to him....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,
    That is funny! And very cool. I can see how people from other countries wouldn't believe an American could speak another language without an accent. We're not exactly known for our language proficiency!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

Ten Years On

Ten Years On Our ten-year wedding anniversary, Dec 3, 2009 Scattering ashes in Michigan, August, 2010 January 23, 2010 is a date I'm afraid to remember and scared I'll forget. It's the day Sean died. I wanted to write about the weirdness of marking ten years since Sean’s death, but it’s almost too big a task. It’s like straining to hear what my kids are asking from the other room while the kettle is boiling in front of me; like trying to figure out how to build a bookshelf when the instructions are cryptic pictograms.  How to talk about a decade of living, loving, grieving? It’s like a trip to the moon and back ten times and also like a walk to the corner store. It has been a long odyssey and a quick jaunt. What no one can tell you about the years stretching between death and this-new-normal-kinda-life is how your perspective will change. What once seemed important now seems trivial, and the person you were back then is different from

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn