Skip to main content

Let Him Lead - Lessons from a Dance Class

Let Him Lead
Lessons from a Dance Class

"5, 6, 7, 8....you're going to push the lady over your arm clockwise...then take 2 steps forward, and back."

I'm at the Papamoa Sports Centre, listening to instructor Paulina lead Ceroc dancers (from Wikipedia: "Ceroc is partner dance best described as a fusion of Salsa and Jive, but without the complicated footwork...The name 'Ceroc' is said to derive from the French "C'est le roc" (it's roc). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceroc  
I've just finished my very first beginner Ceroc class. I'd never tried partner dancing before, not the kind featuring dance steps with names. The closest I've come lately to any kind of choreography was a Zumba (exercise) class. Part of the reason I'm a runner is it requires little coordination (and even then, I don't always get it right – I commit one or two face-plants each year when my shuffling feet trip me). You've got the premise: clumsy runner attempts dance class. Hilarity ensues.

Only that wasn't quite it.

At first, I'm mostly confused. I hear Paulina, a lithe brunette wearing a deep-vee pink top, black pants, low-heeled shoes and a microphone headset say, "Lift, right, lift, right..." Is she telling me to "lift" my right foot? No, no..."lift" is Kiwi for "left." Of course. "Left right, left right..." I shuffle through a series of moves: the "Closed Neck Break," "Catapult," "Breakthru," "Manhattans," sprinkled liberally with a move called out as "Return the Lady," which I think means spin back to where I started. Six women and six men practice one move before adding the next. The women move clockwise around the circle to a new partner after a round or 2 of practice. 3 or 4 partners in, I'm paired with Paul, a middle-aged man with salt and pepper hair wearing a black button-down shirt and black pants. His aftershave isn't cloying, but it's enough to make me wonder if I'll wear the scent when we're done. Paulina turns on the music, and Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back" starts thumping.

I'm bringin' sexy back.
Them other boys don't know how to act.
I think it's special what's behind your back.
So turn around and I'll pick up the slack....

I'm trying to remember when to spin and where to step when Paul says, "You're trying to lead. You have to let me lead." Oh. Novel idea: Let him lead. Do I let anyone lead? Am I willing to let anyone lead? Heck, when you haven't a clue where you're going, it makes sense to leave the driving to someone else. I've sat in the driver's seat so long, I'm not sure I know how to be the passenger. Or the female dance partner. My flatmate, Amy, who invited me to Ceroc later told me, "I'm usually the one in control. I have to be, at work [she's a CEO]. This is the only place I can switch off my brain. You have to concentrate to get the steps." She's right. As soon as I started thinking about this week's calendar, I missed an instruction. No more of that. Just the steps, ma'am. And let him lead.

"5, 6, 7, 8. Step back, Closed Neck Break... Catapult....return the lady. Manhattans... going, forward, and back...."

My class ends, and I practice the series of moves I've just learned with two gracious guys who compliment my beginner's pluck.

I sit to watch Amy and other dancers in the intermediate class.

"1, 2, back, over and down, return... over and 2, back... lovely. Take her out and over 2, back... Lovely. Just go forward, guys, and hold..."

Paul misses a step, falters a bit. That makes his dance partner, Amy, wobble. They laugh, then rotate effortlessly through a series of spins and dips.

"Return the lady. And forward and back...over the ladies, around, so guys go right, then left, forward."

Ceroc. C'est le roc. C'est une idee (It's an idea): Let him lead.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th