Skip to main content

Just Mum

Just Mum
For the first time in my life, here in New Zealand, I get to be "Just Mum." I'll need to return to the work world at some point, but for now my task is raising Fiona and Finley to be decent human beings (and prevent them from killing each other or destroying the house). I'm the only parent, and, bonus- at ages 7 and 5, the kids want me around. Shortly after Sean died, a friend in Spokane whose father died when she was 6 years old sent me an e-mail. In it, she told me her mother's way of handling grief was to bury herself in work. My friend wrote, "I needed a mother, not a worker." I read that last phrase over and over again. It made sense.

So did quitting my job last year. I'd returned to full-time work when my babies were 3 and 4 months old. I was the primary bread winner, and Sean, the primary care giver. It worked for us, but I always wanted more time with the kids. This is not what I planned. Still, you do the best you can with the crap life hurls at you. Suddenly, fertilizing the garden sounds like a good idea. The corporate ladder can wait. Fiona and Finley can't.

The kids beg me to volunteer in their classrooms. I've helped twice so far in Finley's class. I sit with his school mates on a futon tucked between bookshelves. They read. I listen to such classics as: Tiger Tiger; Wake up, Dad and who could forget The lazy pig:

"Wake up. Wake up. Wake up.
Cock-a-doodle-doo! Cock-a-doodle-doo!
Wake up! The sun is up."

I'm also learning about Kiwi reading and writing methods. Finn's teacher, Ms. D, personifies letters, saying things like, "Yellow yo-yo man is tricky. He has lots of sounds." Then, they practice writing. Ms. D said, "We're going to write the best story ee-vah. It's going to be a made-up story. You can pretend you're a rock star, a cat, or that you have 20 rabbits in your back yard. Anything you want. Use your imagination."

One little girl asked me how to spell "hay." "Could you use that in a sentence?" I asked. "Hay went to his friend's house," said the girl. "Oh, that's H-E," I said. That's what happens when you let an American mum into a Kiwi class. Last week, I perched in a teeny chair at a teeny table and listened to two of Finley's classmates describe their erasers. "My rubber is really soft," said girl #1. "Oh, try this rubber. It's soft, too," said girl #2. I smiled to myself, but the word "rubber" computes when you hear 5-year-olds talk about "rubbing out" their mistakes.

I took Finley recently to his class picnic and swim at Pilot Bay. My son and I sat on beach towels in the shadow of the Mount on a sunny, warm end-of-summer day and ate sandwiches among a sea of school kids, teachers and parents. I helped Finn dig a tunnel in the sand. His teacher snapped a picture that's posted on the front classroom wall. The caption, apparently written by another small fry, reads, "Finley and mum is digging a sandcastle. He is having fun with Mum." Mum's grateful to have crouched with Finn in the sand, thinking, "Yep. That's my boy." (note: Those warm fuzzy thoughts evaporate during Finley's whiny times).

Fiona's teacher told me he could use parent volunteers after swim lessons finished for the summer. They'd wrapped up by last week, so Fi dragged me into class. "You said you'd ask Mr. Parry about volunteering. Come on, Mom...please?" In a couple years, Fiona may pretend she doesn't know me.

I've held a job since age14, so filling out forms and x-ing through the line that asks for a work phone number still feels odd. So does writing "homemaker," or "mom" in the occupation blank. I suppose I could write "astronaut," "surfer," or "stripper," and no one would care (okay, they might notice "stripper").

The kids, however, care that I take them to school and pick them up after. It's not all a big Kiwi dream – it's Mum-as-taxi, "Mom, I'm HUN-gry!" and "Mom, Fiona's not listening to me!" from the back seat. Being present has rewards, too. One of my sweetest moments at school happened when I stepped into the courtyard one day about 10 minutes before the bell rang. Fiona's teacher was playing guitar and her entire class was singing Johnny Cash in angel voices:

Love Is A Burning Thing
And It Makes A Fiery Ring
Bound By Wild Desire
I Fell Into A Ring Of Fire

I Fell Into A Burning Ring Of Fire
I Went Down, Down, Down
And The Flames Went Higher

And It Burns, Burns, Burns
The Ring Of Fire
The Ring Of Fire

What a treat. I might have missed the moment if I were at a "real" job. I'm not. For now, I'm Just Mum.

Comments

  1. Take the "just" away from "just mom," and you've got it.
    I've recently gone to work full time only a few days a week, and my kids don't like it ( but Mike likes being primary caregiver on those days.) It feels weird to me too, and I've never JUST been mom, I've been writing or doing a home-based business just to avoid having to put "home maker" or "mom" in the application blank. still cant. Struggle with "substitute teacher" too. I say "educator." :) You're a wonderful mum, friend and person. (But the blank's just not long enough, for all those details, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students call them rubbers in Jamaica too. Such a chuckle. Also, in JA, mom's rarely have access to working opportunities and Tressanna hasn't even heard of evening meetings. Yep, it's a transition for all of us. Aren't we blessed? We all get to choose which steps to take each moment of the day. Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wise friends I have! Thanks, Lisa & Luc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn I once read a quote that I apply to families that spend so much time & energy climbing the corporate ladder they forget to look down and see what's right in front of them, right now! It goes like this,,,,, "What a waste to spend your life climbing the corporate ladder only to find you leaned it against the wrong wall".

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn,

    Indeed, you have made the best choice for your children and while they may never understand fully what you are doing for them, they will feel and experience it fully.

    There are still moments when I hold my breath and think, "If only..."

    If only when my father died, my mother had not died too emotionally and physically. If only my mother had given me the kind of love that I truly think I deserved from her.

    The choices you have made (and they are choices) since Sean died are the things that love is made of. I am convinced.

    You are a mother. You are a mother. You are a mother.

    I know you write about identity later. I know you are many other things. But for now, for Finley and Fiona, the only thing you have to be is their mother, and I think you are doing an amazingly fantastic job of it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th