Skip to main content

Keep the Wonder

Keep the Wonder

When you travel, you live with intensity, with wonder. You know you'll experience a place for a finite time. That means you do more, see more, try more than you ever would at home. Each bend in the road reveals a new landscape (new to you, at least). So you feast your eyes, ears and taste buds. You pay attention. No more auto-pilot. Take nothing for granted. Not your bed, your clothing and certainly not the weather. After spending several cold, rain-soaked days (or was it weeks?) in Europe late last fall, the kids and I flew to South Africa. We arrived in November to a glorious 80-degree spring day. During lunch at my friend's beach house, Finley asked, "Are we in heaven?" It felt that way. Today, New Zealand feels like my heaven (thanks to mostly beautiful summer weather and an achingly beautiful landscape).

You miss paradise in any country if you sleepwalk through life. You must be "in the moment." Present not just to see and do, but listen, too. My expat ears seem to work better than my domestic ones. Maybe it's because today's dialogue will become tomorrow's special memory. (Or maybe I'm just straining to understand Kiwi English). I wish it were socially acceptable to whip out a note pad and record snippets of dialogue while chatting with new acquaintances and friends. It was okay when I was a reporter paid to get a story, but would seem strange now that I'm simply telling our family's story. So I listen extra carefully and save the gems for my journal (some of them even make it to this blog).

I file travel memories in a different head space than "ordinary" bits and pieces of home life. How can you appreciate the uniqueness of each day when you drive the same route, work the same job, talk with the same people and eat the same food nearly every day? I believe it's possible (and haven't we all heard we should vary our routes to fire new brain synapses, or some such thing?). Still, I ask myself this question as I mull what re-entry to "real" life will mean (Unfortunately, our re-entry will also include a huge difference from our previous life: my husband, the father of my children will still be gone).

Certainly, there's comfort in routine, a familiar place and most of all, comfort in friends and family who know and love you - who've helped you walk your path. The challenge is remaining present on home turf. What if we allowed ourselves to see our regularly-scheduled lives through a visitor's eyes? What if I stopped rehearsing my own dialogue and focused instead on listening, really listening? My days in New Zealand are numbered. So are the rest of all our days. It reminds me of a story I heard in South Africa: The kids and I stayed at a guest house near the tip of the continent where the owner, a well-known safari tour operator, told me something he'd learned from a famous writer: "The man said people really slow down after age 70. So he carried a pebble in his pocket for each decade he had left before he reached that age. I have just 2 pebbles in my pocket, and within months, I'll have just 1."

I can't imagine or assume I'll live until 70. Life's too uncertain for that. But I can imagine living 7 more days or 7 more months. I'd like to think no matter where we land during those days, my eyes and ears will be open to wonder, to the gift of here and now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

Ten Years On

Ten Years On Our ten-year wedding anniversary, Dec 3, 2009 Scattering ashes in Michigan, August, 2010 January 23, 2010 is a date I'm afraid to remember and scared I'll forget. It's the day Sean died. I wanted to write about the weirdness of marking ten years since Sean’s death, but it’s almost too big a task. It’s like straining to hear what my kids are asking from the other room while the kettle is boiling in front of me; like trying to figure out how to build a bookshelf when the instructions are cryptic pictograms.  How to talk about a decade of living, loving, grieving? It’s like a trip to the moon and back ten times and also like a walk to the corner store. It has been a long odyssey and a quick jaunt. What no one can tell you about the years stretching between death and this-new-normal-kinda-life is how your perspective will change. What once seemed important now seems trivial, and the person you were back then is different from

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn