Skip to main content

This is NOT a Christmas Letter

This is NOT a Christmas Letter                                     

It’s not a ‘see what I’ve/my children/my partner have accomplished. It’s not about where we’ve traveled or what we’ve acquired so much as about how we continue growing into our funny/flawed/fearsome and fearless forms. As I sit at Pete’s sister’s kitchen table with its red vinyl cover, staring at fluted glass pedestal plates of oranges and bananas and procrastinate, er, write, I imagine what I might tell you about the Year in Review. Here’s what didn’t happen:

·         No one won Lotto or a major award.
·         No one landed a new (full-time) job.
·         No one bought or sold a house or new car.
·         No one gained acceptance into a major (or minor) program of study.
·         No one bought a pet or birthed a baby.
·         No one got engaged or married.

Dullsville? Hardly. Our lives are a celebration of the Ordinary. By Ordinary, I mean:

·         No one got fired.
·         No one lost a home to flood, fire or non-rent-paying tenant.
·         No one declared bankruptcy.
·         No one in our immediate family died, broke bones or visited the hospital.
·         No one received a new diagnosis.
·         No one required rehab or a 12-step program.
·         No one got a speeding ticket, criminal conviction or faced deportation (though Pete reminded me I nearly got dinged for speeding in Ohio).
·         No pets ripped up the yard, peed on the carpet or destroyed favorite shoes.
·         No one divorced.

Gosh, Ordinary smells like gingerbread baking; looks like sunrise after the darkest night; tastes like a warm, ripe strawberry plucked from the plant. I’m massaging Ordinary with coconut-scented oil and feeding him dark chocolate truffles in bed, because I’m lovin’ me some Ordinary, and he’s lovin’ me back.

For now. Ordinary’s more fling than lasting relationship. No one knows if he’s a ten-night or ten-year stand. Ordinary Time is actually a season during the Christian calendar whose name translates the Latin term, Tempus per annum (literally, “time through the yearwhich comes from Wikipedia, which is Latin for “lazy online search”).

Here, briefly, is what happened through our Ordinary Year, 2012:

January
·         Rang in the New Year in Queenstown, where a passerby taking a family photo said, “Hey, Mom and Dad, let’s have a kiss for the camera.”
·         Relaxed at Dansey’s Pass Holiday Park in the middle-of-nowhere South Island, where a kid swinging over a river nearly clocked my Mr. Magoo head. Also, Pete and I finished sentences while the kids found playmates and shook loose internal organs on a trampoline.
·         Entertained our sole visitor from Spokane, Jean, who fed us enough restaurant meals to last the rest of the year.

February

·         Ran with a team around Lake Taupo, where we just missed snapping a photo of a naked male jogger
·         Took part in the national “Feb Fast,” refraining from alcohol for the month. This effort affected neither my liver function nor my weight.

March
·         Moved from newish suburban villa to an older beach house in town. Sacrificed cleanliness and mod-cons for ocean views and proximity to primary school.

·         Moved from New Zealand to Spokane. Sacrificed ocean views and companionship for big highways, big food and big headaches.
·         Mitigated effects of the above with reunions, winding roads, Mexican food and cheap wine.


Trembled throughout April anticipating:


May

·         Traveled about sixty hours round-trip to spend six kid-free days with the PAHT-nah. Wept with joy.  Returned to Spokane sated, satisfied with choice to move to En Zed.

June/July
·         Alleviated loneliness by devouring a road trip with a side order of running. Feasted at the tables of Steph and Sorrento Centre, where I wrote with flaming fingers and rekindled an appreciation of (differently) organized religion. Paid homage to the Canadian Rockies in Banff and canoed across Lake Louise.

August

·         Wept (again) with joy during reunion with Pete. The PAHT-nah looked more delectable than ever on American soil.  Moved out of Spokane house. Gave away or sold nearly everything. Nearly wept at the only offer made on the house. Pulled house from the market to rent it.  Brought Pete to Ohio for cross-examination by family members and a first and last meeting with Grandma.  Flew Pete and kids to California for cross-examination by Mickey, Goofy and Ariel.
·         Flirted with arrest by TSA officer for attempting to smuggle too-large sunscreen bottle onto airplane. Suggested cavity search instead.

September
·         Moved back into beach house in New Zealand. Re-enrolled kids in school.
·         Shivered during unusually cold spring in world’s draftiest four-walled enclosure.  Fantasized about double-paned windows, insulation and central heating.

October

·         Enjoyed five days of bliss at a writer’s retreat at Ohope Beach.  Fantasized about full-time job as unpaid writer at a beach house.
·         Rejected for first (and so far, only) official full-time (temporary) job as communications advisor.  Fantasized about part-time job as paid writer.

November
·         Fell in love again with En Zed as weather warmed. Called a truce with drafty beach house with galley kitchen, sticky drawers, single toilet, worn carpet, scuffed walls, miniature closets and doll-sized bedrooms. Ignored all of the above while sitting in hammock swing overlooking ocean.
·         Filed for permanent New Zealand residency (could be several months before it’s granted).
·         Celebrated Thanksgiving with a Kiwi potluck. Ate a month’s worth of pumpkin pie in two days.

December
·         Watched Finley finish second in his age group in the long (.8 km) run at school. Beamed, knowing he couldn’t cheat.
·         Secured first Kiwi contract, editing lecture notes for a culinary school. Acquired enough knowledge to open my own restaurant, or at least fumble through a discussion about food, wine and bad service with the preface, “You know, I once edited notes for Le Cordon Bleu…”
·         Mourned passing of Grandma (Ellie) Picken, who died after years of illness.  Mourned distance from family and difficulty of returning for funeral (decided against flying to Ohio).
·         Moved out of beach house per lease and prepared to travel for a month. Nearly split up during move-out.  Endured mostly silent, four-hour drive to Hawke’s Bay. Missed my late husband terribly.  Hated Christmas. Refrained from jumping from vehicle.
·         Reconciled with PAHT-nah after a good feed, good sleep and good (fill in the blank) run. Yes, a good run’s like epoxy – it fixes fissures in your friendship.

We are, in many ways, still in limbo:  we have no residency, no health insurance and no home of our own in the Southern hemisphere. I have not finished banging out The Book or writing a budget. I have, however, finished chapters of memoir, runs up The Mount and completed my paid editing project a day before deadline.

Fiona and Finley are, in the words of Garrison Keillor, “above average” in most things, but only just so. According to teacher progress reports, Fiona must develop spelling accuracy and learn multiplication tables ‘at speed.’ Finley must listen ‘with his full attention to instructions’ and ‘work on not interrupting people.’ Finley is ‘lively,’ and Fiona is a ‘pleasure.’ They’re healthy, whine occasionally about missing Spokane and eat like the All Blacks rugby team after training camp.  They profess love for their mom, dad and will even cop to loving Pete.  Especially in light of the latest American school shootings, we realize how lucky we are to love these Small Fries as humans instead of angels: Finley, with his two missing front teeth who insists, “I already know that!” and Fiona, with her spindly legs and long hair who tells me most nights before bed, “You’re the bestest Mommy in the world!”

Ordinary stuff. Ordinary year. Thank God for that.

Ordinary riches can be stolen; real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.
-Oscar Wilde

Comments

  1. Prayers are with you Dawn. Blessed Christmas from the USA. Love, Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Polly! Happy New Year - hope 2013 brings wonderful things your way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th