Skip to main content

Remember December


Remember December

It’s nine o’clock in the evening. I’m standing where water meets sand – the ocean’s tide line. I’ve come to listen to waves, to watch lines of water advance and retreat. The day has been extraordinarily ordinary: a Santa parade, chat with new friends, a new (used) bike for Fiona, a run on the ocean road with Finley alongside on his bike; erection of a Christmas tree; a late dinner of shrimp on the Barbie with loads of garlic. It was sunny and beautiful and gorgeously easy. No one got hurt or sick. No one died or even threw a major tantrum. I've come to the ocean to give thanks, just as in the past, I've come to offer tears.

Three years ago, the kids and I were caught in a tangle of sickness.  I shuttled between home, hospital and work while Sean was critically ill. Enmeshed in the web, you can’t see beyond the filaments that cloud your vision. You can’t imagine the snarl will unravel, releasing you to new life.

December third would’ve been my thirteenth wedding anniversary. Sean and I were married ten years before he died. In that horrible post-death haze of the First Year, I couldn’t envision another romance - ever. I cringed, then laughed nervously when friends broached the subject.  Now, three years later, I see more clearly what's possible: life after death exists for those left behind; love arrives later if we let it in; opportunities present if we fling ourselves into the world, cling to this moment, embrace those who want and need us.

Imagine someone telling you you’d be smitten – consumed by new love after something so wrenching as the death of a spouse. You’d tell them they were crazy, even if, deep down, you hoped they were right.  Imagine some day, you’d be sitting on your deck, watching the sea in its many permutations: turquoise blue under sunshine, navy blue under gray clouds, black and white at night… Imagine someone predicting you’d run on the sand almost every day; that your children would attend school far from the home they knew; that you’d build a new circle of friends, collection of favorite places, foods and activities thousands of miles from the Old Life. 

Imagine the most miraculous idea: you would love someone again so deeply that seeing their happiness is akin to creating your own. That the same someone would love you so selflessly in return. 

I can’t help the melancholy wind that blows each December like a predictable sandstorm. Decembers are never the same after someone you’ve deeply loved has died. You remember the anniversary and think back to Christmases past. I wish I could have my beloved just like I used to – that Sean and I could take the kids to Greenbluff to chop down a ten-foot blue spruce; that we could return to the house in Eagle Ridge, where I’d make pumpkin pancakes and bacon; that he and I could plan an anniversary dinner at the Davenport or Latah or Luna or anywhere the lights were low and someone else would cook; that we could plan a child-free vacation in Hawaii or Puerto Rico or St. Lucia or anywhere the ocean was warm and the cocktails cold. Desire for love’s past doesn’t end.

A widow friend (the inspiration for my New Zealand trip), told me of her late husband, “We honor him by living the best and most vital life we can.” We honor those who die by loving those in front of us as fully and gratefully as possible. 

So, on what would’ve been my thirteenth wedding anniversary, I did what Sean so badly wanted me to do – the thing I rarely did – sat on the couch with my beloved and watched a movie. I held Pete’s hand. It sounds weird, I know, but I picture Sean, and he’s smiling.  His anniversary gift was and still is – love.

Comments

  1. That was wonderful Dawn, just wonderful! Happy Anniversary, and praying for new and happier anniversaries of another kind your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have wonderful memories! Equally wonderful to make new ones.
    Beautifully written as usual

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sean for giving our Dawn faith and love. You are a beloved guardian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th