Skip to main content

Ten Years On

Ten Years On
Our ten-year wedding anniversary, Dec 3, 2009
Scattering ashes in Michigan, August, 2010


January 23, 2010 is a date I'm afraid to remember and scared I'll forget. It's the day Sean died.

I wanted to write about the weirdness of marking ten years since Sean’s death, but it’s almost too big

a task. It’s like straining to hear what my kids are asking from the other room while the kettle is boiling

in front of me; like trying to figure out how to build a bookshelf when the instructions are cryptic

pictograms. 



How to talk about a decade of living, loving, grieving? It’s like a trip to the moon and back ten times

and also like a walk to the corner store. It has been a long odyssey and a quick jaunt.


What no one can tell you about the years stretching between death and this-new-normal-kinda-life is

how your perspective will change. What once seemed important now seems trivial, and the person

you were back then is different from who you are today. The last part is true for us all, no matter if

we’ve lost a great love, or not. The current of our lives changes constantly, carrying and cleansing

debris, gushing, then trickling in times of torrent and drought. 



My 49-year-old self is different from 39-year-old me. Beyond the obvious physical deterioration,

I have a new mindset. I’d like to think I’m less naive and more sure of who I am. My good friend,

Becky, recently shared with me how she announced to her family she’s a “grown-ass woman” (GAW)

who makes her own decisions and stands behind them. She gets to call the shots - her time, her

talents, her choices. 


I had imagined maybe I needed by be retired to achieve GAW status, as I wouldn’t be so concerned

about what people thought in my older, unemployed state. But if I were truly worried about satisfying

other people, I wouldn’t live in New Zealand. In my un-coupled condition, there’s no reason to be here,

except my teenagers are settled into school, friend groups and sports; I have a community of friends

and work I enjoy, and this is a wonderful place to greet each day (keep this between you and me, as

my town is quite full and the traffic can be hideous). 



Seeing photos of the kids from when Sean died - January 23, 2010 to today - is evidence we haven’t

just switched our geography, we’ve time travelled, too. Fiona and Finley’s milk teeth and chubby

cheeks have been replaced with braces and slimmer faces. Neither child says they remember what

their father sounded like; we need audio recordings as a reminder. 



I still grieve Sean’s loss. Even ten years later, how could I not? He’s the partner and father I chose

after I decided it was more than okay to set fire to the kindling of our friendship.  He’s the only partner

who not only pursued me in the early, fun years, but also stuck by me in later, more turbulent years.

A premature baby, infant operation, hellfire son, job wins and losses, chronic illness, moving from

house to condo, to apartment to house, to house… Sean bolstered me and didn’t leave when things

got tough. He was mature and selfless.



My attempt in New Zealand to recreate a four-person household with another man flopped. You could

say I leaped too soon by starting to date only a year after Sean died; or I was lonely and vulnerable.

Or all of the above. I railed against the stereotype of solo mom and wanted someone with whom I

could share a life. I fell in love, or something like it. Perhaps my picker was broken. Perhaps I was

broken, and still am.



But life breaks all of us, doesn’t it? Bit by bit, it steals our people, our health, our looks, our fortunes

and too often, our memories. If we could only see the emotional scars our fellow humans bear, we

might be a lot nicer to each other. The brilliant woman with equally savant husband and big house

has clinical depression; the man driving a big rig up and down the local highway seemingly without

a care years ago lost an adult son; the gorgeous, slim blonde who looks fit and healthy battles stage

4 cancer; the guy who seems outgoing and confident during the week routinely drinks a liter of spirits

on the weekend to numb his pain... 



Give it time, we’re all walking wounded.



Which is to say, I’m not special. Your losses, no matter what they are, are just as painful as mine.

Two years, ten years, 20 years… another rotation around the sun doesn’t change the fact you loved

your person in the flesh and still love him or her in spirit. But dammit, I really want the flesh.

“Always in our hearts…” F that. How about always in my house? How about here in front of me,

where I can cup Sean’s face and look into his blue-gray eyes and say, “I love you” one more time? 


“He’s here in spirit” will never be good enough. I’m a grown-ass woman and I say these things

because for me, they’re true. 



But there’s something else: failure to see the silver lining would mean blindness to beauty around us.

We live in a place of relative safety and comfort, nestled between sea, sky and green hills. We have

health care that’s accessible because we’ve already paid for it with our taxes. Most of all, we have

friends who laugh, cry and get angry on our behalf. We don’t have Sean, yet still live in abundance.


Yet I grieve for the fact my children are growing up without a father. I grieve there’s just me mucking

about in the dark. As a therapist recently told me, “You have to be mother, father and psychologist.”

He also said the children’s teenage shenanigans sounded like - teenage shenanigans. Being a widow

has opened up a kind of paranoia for me, because it’s easy to blame behaviors I find either

unacceptable or borderline criminal (there was an egg-throwing incident that could’ve ended very

badly, but didn’t) on the lack of a father. 



Then I remember teenagers from intact families also do stupid shit. Dad or no dad, these kids have

their own minds, their own judgement (or lack thereof). Teens have an underdeveloped prefrontal

cortex which controls rational thinking, decision-making and awareness of long-term consequences,

regardless of whether they lost their dad at age six or whether Dad is sitting across the room in his

recliner.

Christmas in Fiji, 2019



Ten years on, I’d like to think my additional scars have made me tougher. Ten years on, neither child

has (yet) been to juvenile detention or moved in with a significant other. I’ve had a decade of

wheedling, cajoling, sheparding and loving Fiona and Finley that Sean hasn’t had. I’m sad without

him and thankful for this precious time. 



For most of the past three years, I’ve had to learn to live again as a solo parent. I’m slowly embracing

the notion I’m enough. I’ve made peace with my status as an uncoupled widow - one who doesn’t

need a partner to be complete. One who will not settle due to loneliness or societal expectations. 



They say a triangle is the strongest shape. Ten years after Sean’s death, Fiona, Finley and I are a

triangle. A trio. A strong, often strange shape every bit a unit as its four and more-sided brethren.

Inside, we carry not only grief, but memories of a husband and father who in his brief life, loved and

lived well.

Comments

  1. This was stunningly beautiful and I am great full to have read it. I hope you and yours are happy and safe still! ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th