Skip to main content

The Call to Laughter

The Call to Laughter

I’m working to re-train my brain there is no such thing as a bad year. Or a good year. It’s convention, this time thing. The idea we’ll peel a year or a month off the calendar. This year bad. Next year good. Rubbish.

My old way of thinking would suggest 2019 will be a shitty year as I wrestle with transitions, like the kind I endured while laboring before my two children were born. The life changes I’m embarking on would top anyone’s list of Most Stressful. I won’t elaborate right now, because I’m not ready. So, back to transition - I’m wrestling a few that remind me of that painful period before giving birth. The first time, I withstood an excruciating epidural minutes before emergency surgery (Fiona); the second time, I was drug-free while pushing a human - a baby with hand on head - from a small space (Finley). Both transitions required the ability to withstand temporary suffering and delivered a beautiful result.

This time, I’m not convinced of the beautiful result. Nor am I guaranteed one. No one is, whether in childbirth or the birth of a new self following paroxysms of weeping or long spells of anxiety.

So back to the good/bad years/months: if I listen to advice from wise people, I’ll realize we only have this moment. Ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Zhu said, “If you are depressed you are living in the past.  If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.” (People with clinical depression aren’t necessarily living in the past; they have a serious medical illness which is treatable. This differs from sadness over something like loss of a loved one, which comes in waves and generally co-exists with maintaining self-esteem).

Where was I? This moment. I cherish the sweet, small moments which really, are all we have. Even in the midst of Sean’s four and-a-half month hospitalization, those moments existed, like Marcel Proust’s moment when he tastes a madeleine dipped in tea, unleashing a torrent of memories. My madeleine was an oatmeal cookie with just the right amount of butter, sugar and salt. The cookies were a homemade gift, soft and chewy. I made them last two weeks by eating one or two per day in the hospital waiting room around 10:30 am. As I bit into the soft, sugar-with-a-hint-of-salt oatey confection, I mused life couldn’t be all bad. Even while my husband lay unconscious, wired and tubed in the ICU, I could find pleasure in a baked good. I still love oatmeal cookies, though I’ve never replicated any as good as Gay’s.

And so it is with comedy shows. Especially in the midst of crisis, a funny stand-up program stirs muscle memories of laughter. Of smiling so much your face hurts. Everyone has their triggers; one of mine is Amy Schumer. Yes, she's crass, scatological - she’s not for everyone. But I’ll claim her as mine, because she makes me laugh so hard I cry.

I had just finished watching Brené Brown’s excellent The Call to Courage on Netflix when I spied Schumer’s Growing Pains. It was getting late, but it’s a long holiday weekend and I didn’t have to get the kids (or me) up early the next day. So I watched. And laughed so hard and so strangely, Fiona shot video of me on her phone. Watching me laugh makes me laugh - again. Fi said at first, she thought I was hurt. It sounds like chimpanzees have invaded the house.

Maybe instead of a Proustian moment, it’s a Schumer moment? It was a laughter moment. Proof happiness exists not in the past or future, but only right here, right now. The present of the present. I needed that.

What makes you laugh so hard you cry?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th