Skip to main content

Happy 57th Birthday, Sean

               Happy 57th Birthday, Sean

It’s the shortest day of the year in New Zealand, the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the day our Prime Minister gave birth to a baby girl. The kids and I have a another reason to celebrate and be sad - today would’ve been Sean’s 57th birthday. 





Tonight, I showed Fiona photos of Sean taken the month before he got sick, when we were on holiday and when he took her to kindergarten on her first day. Fi looked at me with big, sad eyes, saying, “I’m glad we have those photos, because I’m forgetting what Daddy looked like.” I hugged her, and told her I understood, that she’s proof Daddy and I loved each other. If it weren’t for Fiona and Finley, most days I wouldn’t believe Sean and I had been married ten years. It was another life, a period marked by our babies’ arrivals, the move to a new neighborhood and the start of new jobs for both of us. We were percolating with possibilities until one of us vanished. We were no longer. No we, just me - and kids.










It’s been eight years since Sean died, and I feel like a new widow. I’m grieving more deeply than normal, thinking of him more than usual and I’ve unintentionally dropped about 6 kg (around 14 pounds) the past eight months, just as I did in the months after I lost Sean. Damn, I wish I could bottle that stuff, or write a how-to book. I’d be rich. You’re supposed to be able to run faster with less weight, but I find I’m slower these days. This pisses me off.


I feel guilty about foisting 2018 problems on the husband who died in 2010. It seems unfair to dump on him that way, like finding religion after a terminal diagnosis. Too little, too late? Mostly, the kids keep me - I keep me - too busy to wallow. A reckoning will come - the empty nest meltdown. All the grief work I postponed in the months and early years after Sean’s death will boomerang and whack me in the head. 

Aside from summer holidays, Pete (husband #2, which makes me sound like a socialite), hasn’t lived with us full-time since mid-September. That’s when he started his third flight school job within a 12-month period. He returns home every other weekend for fewer than 48 hours, because it’s a four-hour drive. One-way. I do not recommend this arrangement. It’s supposed to be temporary; we said we’d give it a year, something I regretted about three months into the experiment. 

I feel like a solo mum again. Nearly all the dinners - just me and the kids. All the taxi runs - me and other mums and dads who carpool. Nearly all the nights - alone, though if I’m lucky, the kids will sit in the front room with me while I read and they watch their flickering screens. Twenty minutes on the phone each night is a sparse substitute for a face-to-face debrief with another grown-up.  It’s lonely, and not the life I expected. I didn’t expect Sean to die, either. I joke I repel men, and maybe I should switch teams. A friend reminds me lesbians have relationship issues, too. 

It’s not all thunder and gloom. I am, after all, used to running the show, and the kids and I are heading out soon for an adventure. We are a threesome again. Also, unlike many people who are truly suffering in our community, we have a home, heat, and food in the pantry. 

See? This was meant to be a remembrance of Sean and I’ve turned it into a tiny pity party for one. I just slapped my own hand. Breathe. Why does everyone tell you to breathe? It’s involuntary. It’s gonna happen on its own. Like birth. Like death. Sometimes, breath must be the focus, because it’s hard to complicate breathing. Or forget it. Like how I worry I’ll forget Sean’s look, laugh, dozens of hiccups after too much Tequila, being outed by coworkers for smelling like steak au poivre, the careful walk along an icy South Michigan pier, a picnic where I reveal the gender of a gestating Fiona. Or was it Finley?

Memory is slippery and malleable. We think we know what happened - where we were, who we were with, what we did. I don’t. I need photos, journals, Facebook, gentle nudging and understanding when it takes a while to marshal a memory I used to own. So much has happened. How do you remember all the colours of the horses on a spinning carousel?

Fiona places three small candles in a chocolate-frosted, chocolate chip cupcake and lights them. Finley starts singing, “Happy birthday to you…” We serenade Sean, whereever he may be, and the kids blow out the flames. We hug. Fiona asks for another tissue before picking up Ally, who she’s convinced is Daddy, re-packaged in a fluffy white-and-caramel-colored dog suit. Ally licks her tears. I’m pretty sure the dog was chewing her own poop last night, because I found a nugget when I came downstairs this morning.

That’s life. Just when you find a whisper of peace, imagining the spirit of your dead husband within your beloved dog, you realise the dog has eaten feces.

Happy birthday, Sean. We will always love you.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

Ten Years On

Ten Years On Our ten-year wedding anniversary, Dec 3, 2009 Scattering ashes in Michigan, August, 2010 January 23, 2010 is a date I'm afraid to remember and scared I'll forget. It's the day Sean died. I wanted to write about the weirdness of marking ten years since Sean’s death, but it’s almost too big a task. It’s like straining to hear what my kids are asking from the other room while the kettle is boiling in front of me; like trying to figure out how to build a bookshelf when the instructions are cryptic pictograms.  How to talk about a decade of living, loving, grieving? It’s like a trip to the moon and back ten times and also like a walk to the corner store. It has been a long odyssey and a quick jaunt. What no one can tell you about the years stretching between death and this-new-normal-kinda-life is how your perspective will change. What once seemed important now seems trivial, and the person you were back then is different from

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn