Skip to main content

Direct Pressure for a Wounded Heart

Direct Pressure for a Wounded Heart

It’s June 21st in New Zealand (the 20th in the US) - the shortest day of the year in the Southern Hemisphere. I’m unaware of both facts as I pedal my bike to the Scout hall to meet the Joggers for a run up the Mount. 

Antarctic winds gust against me as I plow forward.  I feel deflated. Today, I want my Old Life back. The one with Sean in Spokane. Barring that, the earth can swallow me like a snake devours a mouse – a single jaw snap transforms the mouse from Creature of This World to Thing That Was. Do I really want to be Someone Who Was?  No. I just don’t want to feel like this.

Real Life has invaded my island paradise and it hurts like hell. I’m grieving again. Fresh sorrow ruptures the sutures of my wounded heart. The bleeding that had long ago been stanched has resumed – gushing and spurting, making a mess of the life I’ve largely reorganized. I don’t want to feel like this.

I recently took a First Aid course where we learned to apply direct pressure to stem bleeding. We need a similar remedy for emotional pain. Direct pressure for a wounded heart – medicine to mitigate  misery. Direct Pressure equates to people and activities that bring you back to Who You Think You Are – it’s what you do for comfort, a way of transforming grumbling and grieving into gratitude and joy.

Keep Going
I run up the Mount with a friend. The first steps land awkwardly; the ascent requires concentration – the effort of up, up, up the stone steps, then up, up, up the gravel path. The work takes me out of my head into the present. I can’t think about much beyond ‘right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot…’

It reminds me of the memoir I’ve been reading before bed, Cheryl Strayed’s Wild. Strayed hiked the West Coast of the US after her mother died. She writes, “I’d set out to hike the trail so that I could reflect upon my life, to think about everything that had broken me and make myself whole again. But the truth was, at least so far, I was consumed only with my most immediate and physical suffering…“

Solo running sometimes offers too much time to meditate and ruminate. Other times, like when you’re huffing and puffing and cursing the Mount’s steep stone steps, you focus only on the task at hand. Or at foot.

As we near the summit, my friend asks a question that touches a nerve. I draw breath too quickly and nearly start the wheezing that precedes tears. I won’t allow it. I remember running in a similar state when Sean was sick; if I started crying during a run, I couldn’t consume enough air to keep moving. I’d have to stop and catch my breath. 

I won’t stop today. I will reach the summit. The view of ocean and harbor beneath an azure sky helps me reclaim myself.

After the run, I buy an hour of talk therapy for five dollars. Sitting across from my friend at a café becomes one of those Direct Pressure events that helps control the bleeding. Sharing stories is healing. Coffee is healing. Washing a wound with tears is healing.

I cycle home along the ocean, perceiving the wind this time as a bracing reminder I’m alive and well enough to power a bicycle after running the Mount.

Circling the PAHT-nah
That night, the PAHT-nah and I share a bottle of sparkling wine, salmon, cheese and flat bread pizza I’ve made from scratch. We've opened the bubbly not to celebrate an event but instead to disentangle our differences.  In a couple hours, the previous night’s argument will be discussed, dissected and put to bed.

It’s an unfortunate part of the grieving process, circling your partner anew to ask, ‘Who are you?’ I’m really asking myself whether my judgment is sound. 

It makes Pete crazy when I repeatedly chip away at the same piece of stone (that may not be the granite cliff I suspected, but instead a pea-sized pebble). It drives me nuts when I fail to chisel – what if I could’ve uncovered an important truth? This is where faith enters the circle: faith in yourself, your partner, the memories you’ve made and the life you share. Faith in the fact no amount of questioning can bulletproof a relationship. It is only in the steadfast plodding, the day-to-day of work, child-minding, dinner, dishes, homework, TV and let’s-do-it-all-again-tomorrow that you discover, incrementally, whether This Thing might work. 

Even then, it’s touch and go. You make your decision, love like today’s your last and pray for a wee bit ‘o luck.

We kiss and make up.  We give ourselves to each other, which is a literal way of applying Direct Pressure. The act is profoundly healing. 

Forgotten and Found
It is only the next day, June 21st in the States, that I realize what I’ve forgotten– the solstice is Sean’s birthday. He would’ve been 52 years old. In the midst of new heartache, I’d forgotten my husband’s birthday. Or had I? Did I ache for something I couldn’t see?

I struggle to understand grief, to lift its weight from my shoulders. But here’s the silver lining: though we imagine the bleeding – the pain of loss from years ago, or last month or last night – will never ebb, it does. Wounded hearts require time and direct pressure – whatever brings you back to yourself, like running, writing, praying, having coffee with a friend, watching a movie (yes, Pete, I added that for you), making art, making love or making muffins. In these sweet, small moments, we set aside sorrow and build a path to joy. 



Comments

  1. After losing my dad last month, I needed this. It has let me know that there is no amount of time to where I need to feel normal, which I have been longing to feel.

    Thanks for this!
    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari,
    So sorry for your loss. No, there's never a time limit. I find when new traumas arrive, I end up linking them back to my First and Biggest Hurt, which is Sean's death. At least it keeps us connected.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

Ten Years On

Ten Years On Our ten-year wedding anniversary, Dec 3, 2009 Scattering ashes in Michigan, August, 2010 January 23, 2010 is a date I'm afraid to remember and scared I'll forget. It's the day Sean died. I wanted to write about the weirdness of marking ten years since Sean’s death, but it’s almost too big a task. It’s like straining to hear what my kids are asking from the other room while the kettle is boiling in front of me; like trying to figure out how to build a bookshelf when the instructions are cryptic pictograms.  How to talk about a decade of living, loving, grieving? It’s like a trip to the moon and back ten times and also like a walk to the corner store. It has been a long odyssey and a quick jaunt. What no one can tell you about the years stretching between death and this-new-normal-kinda-life is how your perspective will change. What once seemed important now seems trivial, and the person you were back then is different from

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn