Skip to main content

Kiwi Thanks

Kiwi Thanks
More, Please

I planned to skip Thanksgiving in New Zealand this year. We did it last year. I cooked the Best Turkey Ever, and celebrated with my American kids, Kiwi friends, Spanish friends and Pete’s folks. Pete was absent. He was flying with a student when clouds and strong winds forced them to land on the other side of the mountains. They safely returned four days later. We saved Pete a few scraps of turkey and a sliver of pumpkin pie.

It's a Luxury

This year, as I settle into the new-old-Kiwi life, I’m living as someone who means to stay.  As Someone on a Budget. It means saying ‘no’ to opportunities where I’d previously said, ‘yes.’
Thanksgiving is a luxury. It’s not a Kiwi holiday. Turkeys cost fifty to more than one-hundred dollars, depending on size. Preparing the entire dinner, providing wine, other drinks and dessert could easily cost two to three times the same meal in the States.

Also, our rental house includes a small galley kitchen with miniature sink, oven with no ventilation fan (we open a window), and little counter space. I’d say it’s a good food re-heating kitchen, but the microwave is perched high atop the fridge. Someday I’m guaranteed to spill hot soup or coffee over my head. The kitchen’s separate from the living room, which means you can’t talk to guests as you prepare food. If you’re not organized, you’ll spend the evening isolated from the very people you want to see.

Thanksgiving’s too pricey and too tough to pull off, so I’ll skip it this year.

In our DNA

But the holiday is in-built. Like salmon swimming upstream, ex-pat or traveling Americans cruise aisles of foreign grocery stores, wandering among Biltong (a kind of meat jerky) in South Africa; Ardennes ham in Luxembourg and tortillas in Mexico, searching for ingredients to replicate their favorite annual meal.

Two years ago in South Africa, I first bought a chicken, then a turkey, green beans, sweet potatoes, pumpkin (though not my precious Libby’s in a can), pre-made pie crust and gravy. I spent nearly all day sweating in a hot kitchen while the sun shone outside in 80-degree weather. I even fried onions to sprinkle atop the green bean casserole (in reality, I think I laid the onions on top like slugs; they never got crispy enough to crumble). I forgot whipping cream and packed the kids back into the car for a store trip. 

We waited eagerly for our hosts to return. They shuffled in around six-thirty, when 10-year-old Ben told me, in his clipped South African accent, “I vomited at school today.” Does this mean you’re not eating Thanksgiving with us? Most of that year’s dinner went home with the cleaning lady. I told myself she and her family loved it.

Change of Heart

A couple weeks ago, something superseded my resistance to Kiwi Thanksgiving 2012. Maybe it was residual patriotism following the Presidential election; true thanks for living here with my PAHT-nah; intense gratitude for health and surroundings that grow more beautiful with warmer, longer days and most of all, for love.

Or maybe I just wanted another excuse to eat pounds of pumpkin pie.

Whatever the reason, American tradition overrode new migrant sensibility like a Hummer rolling over a dune buggy. Small kitchen? My friend, Laura, in Spokane, feeds a convent’s worth of nuns from a space about half the length of a school bus aisle. Cost? Potluck is as much tradition in New Zealand as rugby. If you’re asked to ‘bring a plate,’ you bring a plate of food.  

I pureed my objections like I pulverize pumpkin. Pete and I invited a dozen friends to join us for Thanksgiving one day after the American holiday. We included new friends, not-so-new friends, Kiwi natives plus others who came by way of Germany, England, Luxembourg, Scotland, France…plus us Yanks. Our friends brought enough food and wine for two more Thanksgivings - a sumptuous spread including cheeses and meats, broccoli casserole, whole-wheat rolls, baked kumara (sweet potatoes), salad, cranberry sauce, gravy... I baked three pumpkin pies, one turkey and two chickens (which we didn't need). 

Circle of Gratitude

We sat on the deck overlooking an expanse of blue ocean on a surprisingly windless evening. We drank too much champagne (me), ate too much homemade bread and blue cheese (Finley) and took turns giving thanks. Thanks for surviving divorce, whooping cough, re-settlement, underemployment, cancer, separation and facial hair. For friendship, new jobs, successful kids, improving health and abiding love. 

(I later remember myriad big and small things Pete has done for us and privately thank him for changing my oil, cutting Finley’s hair, jump-starting a dead battery, fixing stuff and washing dishes. We regularly express gratitude for these partner-ly acts of devotion).

Too much hassle/No one does it/why should we? Because we need to share stories, to feed our hearts and heads while filling our bellies. And next year, we hope to expand our table to include more friends, more stories and – what the heck? – more pumpkin pie.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th