Skip to main content

Morning Egg and You Can, Too


Morning Egg and You Can, Too
Sunrise, Mt. Maunganui, NZ

"The thought of later in the day having to explain to myself why I didn't run that morning is enough to get me out the door."
- Linda Johnson
                                
Light brushes my shoulders like a lover’s caress.  I’m running the beach in Mt. Maunganui.  Going. And  glowing.  Behind me, a large orange egg rocks atop an undulating gray-blue skillet. I’ve served myself the morning’s first egg with a side of sneakers.  Sunrise tastes delicious.

My GPS watch (a gift from my late husband, Sean - the device has tracked mileage around the world) tells me it’s 6:30 am. I left the house just in time to catch the show.

To Summit, or Not?

My size 10.5 blue and gray Adidas trail runners pound packed sand  - 2.5 kilometers until Moturiki, Leisure Island. I exit the beach by jogging a small set of wooden stairs to the boardwalk. I’m not sure I can summit The Mount (all 761 feet, or 232 meters) and return home by 7:30 - in time to coax the kids into pouring their own cereal and getting dressed. Pete can help if I’m not back, but still, I want to be there.

Okay, task at hand, task at hand, because this first part is hard work… I run the wood-trimmed steps until arriving at the dreaded stone stairs. I call them dreaded because they’re knee-steep and always stop me, mid- trot. I trudge, instead, waddling back and forth, ascending boulders, one by one. Huh-huh-huhwhere'd my breath go? At least I don’t have to climb these steps four times as I did with the Joggers yesterday. Small mercies.

I huff and pant as I pick off the last stone step. My head down, I shuffle the gradual slope of The Mount’s north side. Someone stands before me. That someone is rotund and white. It’s a sheep, ambling across the path. I slow just enough to lock eyes with a lamb several feet away. Its eyes look like two holes in snow.

I run the North Face track, which starts as a gentle set of gravel and wood-hemmed steps and eventually flattens to reveal Matakana Island. This is where Ocean meets Harbor (so pleased to make your acquaintance). How many runs afford this luxury view? Lucky, lucky runners/walkers we are.

38 minutes have elapsed, according to my watch. Can I summit and return home before 7:30? I could turn around at the 40-minute mark. Nah. I’m so close to the top – am I really gonna turn my back on that view?  Keep going, keep shuffling – up, up, up the gravel track, over fist-sized embedded stones, over smaller chunks of crushed rock, hopping fissures from mudslides past.
View from the top (Paula Wilson, l.)

44 minutes after leaving home, I’m standing atop The Mount – Harbor to my right, Pacific Ocean to my left, the skinny peninsula of Mt. Maunganui stretching east. I pause to pick out our rental home. I find the general area (though, without binoculars, I can’t pinpoint the house), by spotting an apartment block.

I bound down the East Face stairs – not flying (I don’t fly steps unless I trip, and that’s happened too many times already) but carefully threading the descent. Back on the gravel track, I can soar – downhill – flying, flying – whee!

This Yoke's for You

You wonder why more people don’t get out early to feel the sun, wind, to reconnect with miracles labeled legs, arms, hearts – our bodies. I formulate a simple tutorial entitled, “How to run or walk in the morning” which goes like this:

1)      Go to bed at a reasonable hour the night before
2)      Wake up an hour earlier than usual
3)      Get dressed in sports clothes  and apply sunscreen
4)      Drink coffee and eat something small (this takes practice and the pre-run coffee won’t work for everyone – it’s essential for me)
5)      Put on sports watch, running (or walking) shoes and hat
6)      Leave the house
7)      Put one foot in front of the other
8)      Repeat for 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 steps –whatever amount time and your body allow

This is how you become a walker or runner (provided you’ve figured a way to ensure your small children – if you have them – are cared for).

I run the road – Marine Parade - back to the house. I pass other runners and cyclists. They, too, milk the morning.  Another watch check:  9.6 kilometers. One more k to go. I finish at 7:26 am, in an hour and eight minutes. It’s not race pace (nowhere near), but good enough to get me home in time to listen to Finley keep up his eternal, full-volume monologue of laughing, gibberish, singing and yelling. I'm home in time to watch Pete inadvertently spill Wheetbix on Fiona’s head and kiss him before he leaves for work. In time to see Fiona spend 15 minutes doing homework she started last night.  In time to hover while kids make their lunches. I kiss my kiddos goodbye as they leave for school.

Noise has vacated the building. In child-free silence, I can envisage the morning’s hour and eight minute gift. Taste the deliciousness of golden egg in gray-blue skillet. Inhale mind-quenching sea air. The memory of effort lodges in my legs; it camps in my memory. It's like American marathoner Amby Burfoot said, "Running is a revival of the spirit, a private oasis for the thirsty mind..."

How I used to Run

Some day, when my knees give out or when my body succumbs more and more frequently to inborn clumsiness, I’ll stop running. Then, I’ll walk. And when I become ill and lie in hospital, I’ll write about how I used to run. And when I’m too weak or nauseous to write, I’ll read about how I used to run. And when I can’t read anymore, I’ll ask someone (maybe you) to read me this story to quench my 'thirsty mind' – to remind me once upon a time, I used to run.  I’ll taste again the morning’s first golden egg. And it will be delicious.

You can taste it, too.

Comments

  1. Love it, Dawn! Your images inspire me to run the hard slog step by step, day by day, no matter what it is I'm practicing (certainly not running for me!). Love your unique way of writing and look forward to every post! No pressure to feed that hungry blog, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeanette! I agree, running (or any morning discipline) is fuel for life. Now, about those morning pages - I need to re-start :) This blog post started as a Morning Page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th