Skip to main content

Let's Write a Book

Let’s Write a Book
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
–Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher

I’m asking you to hold me accountable for a thousand-mile journey. It’s a big ask, I know. But I work better when others are watching, especially when I’ve clued them in on the goal. Maybe it’s the old TV reporter in me. Maybe it’s the human in me. We’re more likely to complete a task when other people - our co-workers, clients, friends or neighbors, are aware, or better yet, reliant, on the fact we’ll do our job.

My job in New Zealand, besides shuttling the kids to and from school, organizing extracurricular activities, food shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing (the household stuff), making and keeping friends, attending church, running, occasional volunteer work (creating community stuff), is to write something Fiona and Finley (when they’re older) and maybe you or a friend can read to understand what our family experienced during Sean’s four-a-and-half month illness, and the path I chose after he died. I hope you can relate some of our experiences to yours.

I’m grateful many of my friends and acquaintances have suggested I write a book. Your words give me courage to start. And even if, as my writer friend Cheryl-Anne said, my words serve only to “make you less mysterious to your children,” then the job of sitting before a computer, surrounded by stacks of reporter notebooks and paper, pecking away, writing and deleting again and again, will have served its purpose. My goal is that my kids will understand how hard Sean fought to stay with them and to appreciate the gifts he gave us, and continues to give. I want them to understand the power of community and the strength of love. My hope is that you, too, will see something of your own life in the story. So many people have woven themselves into the chapters of our lives. Maybe my words will help others, too – those who’ve known love, loss, laughter, renewal…

My flat mate, Amy, ever the CEO, asked about time line, process, goal. I’ve picked up a book called, how to write your life story (by Ann Gawthorpe), which is helping me organize this project. The book tells you, step-by-step, how to eat the elephant. It doesn’t say the process is easy. Few worthwhile endeavors are. I envision the writing as similar to training for, and running, a marathon. You need a training program to run a marathon. I’ve already told you my goal for this memoir.  Here’s my tentative structure:

20-26 chapters of approximately 4,000 words each
1 chapter every other week – 22 weeks remain until the end of 2011 = 11 chapters by January 1, 2012

The rules:  1) I give myself permission, as writer Anne Lamott says, to craft a “shitty first draft.” I’m quite certain the initial product will suck. The end result won’t be perfect, either. In this case, good enough is better than non-existent.

"Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft. I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it." 
 Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life)

2) I will work in an environment as distraction-free as possible (most likely, the library, where I can’t do laundry, call the States, or, most importantly, easily access the Internet).

3) I will update you, via Facebook, of my progress on a weekly basis (that’s the accountability part).

That covers the first half of the book. Admittedly, 2012 is trickier, because we’re set to travel at least several weeks before returning to the U.S. in spring. If I were to keep to the same schedule as the last half of this year, I could finish the memoir by June 3, 2012.

Why the rush? No rush, except if I don’t write now, I may never do it at all. This time in New Zealand is my opportunity. It is, I’m convinced, one of the main reasons I’m still here. If I were to write 26 chapters of 4,000 words, that’s 104,000 words. I can’t write 100k words at once. But I could write 1,000 per day, and those 1,000 will add up.

After I told Amy I planned to write this blog post to publicly hold my oversize feet to the fire she said, “Okay, what’s your deadline?” August 1st. It’s August 1st in New Zealand. July 31st in the U.S. See? I’m a day ahead of schedule.

Step One. Done. 99,999 to go…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th