Skip to main content

Dingle all the Way

Dingle All the Way

I love Ireland. Yeah, who doesn't, especially after 3 pints of cider in a single evening? I wasn't sure about the affair after nearly a week on the road – a week of driving on the left-hand side down lanes skinnier than driveways outside many American homes; a week of winding our way from the top of the Emerald Isle to the Southwest, a week of way-finding and "How much for a family room?" and "If I don't get away from these kids [uh, Finley] soon, I will lose my mind." Yeah, there's all that.


Then, there's tonight. A night that probably shouldn't have been mine. I asked Chelsea to take the kids back to the B&B so I could check out a pub I'd read about in a guide book; one I liked mostly for its name: Dick Mack's. Somewhere I read an ad that said, "Where is Dick Mack's? Across the street from the church. Where's the church? Across the street from Dick Mack's." It's a former shoeshine shop and according to the sign, was also a habardashery at one time. It's a place where I engaged in enough adult banter (craick, in Gaelic) to last a week.

First, I met Mike O'Shea (if I got his name right; it really is difficult to understand many of these Irish accents), who told me he lived in Chicago for 10 years and drove a truck to all 50 states ("I've been to more states than you have," he told me). Mike has 5 children, one of whom is a TV presenter for RTE Ireland in Dublin. The son's name in Gaelic is Daibdidh - Irish for David. Mike said he's written 8 books, one of which is required reading for students in secondary school in Ireland. He told me he used to write in longhand, but now writes on a computer without Internet access, because he once lost three-quarters of a novel due to a virus. "I was so pissed," he said. "I went to the pubs fer 2 day-yuhs and drank..."

Then, there was Laurie, from Maryland (you can't swing a cat in Dingle without hitting an American – we've overrun the place). She and her husband are touring Ireland for 2 weeks. We made small talk for a few minutes, then she asked how long I was traveling. "I plan to be gone a year," I said. "I'm taking the trip my late husband and I should have taken." (I've rarely referred to Sean as 'late,' partly because it seems a stiff – pardon the pun – adjective, and partly because Sean hated being late). The explanation opened a new window: Laurie told me she, too, had been widowed young. Her husband died of cancer when she was 28. She was left with 3 children, ages 2, 3 & ½, and 6. The disclosure made me cry. Funny how I can talk about Sean's death very matter-of-factly with strangers, almost as though I'm reporting it for the news. But meeting a fellow widow, well.... it doesn't happen often, and the knowledge they understand my situation opens my soul (and tear ducts) in a very real way.

I went to Dick Mack's to drink cider and soak in the pub atmosphere, not to seek counsel from an American stranger. Yet... Laurie said she'd gotten tremendous support from her church family (as have I) and her father. Her mother had died 6 months before her husband. 15 years after being widowed, Laurie has remarried and works as a neonatal intensive care nurse at Children's Hospital in Washington, D.C.
Pat (left) and co.

Next, I met Pat (Paddy) Healy, from Kilkenny. Pat works for a major German manufacturer, servicing ATMs throughout Ireland. He's 36, never married, and said he's lost a lot of loved ones in his life. He told me he could tell "...People are looking out for you." [true]. "Ancestors are looking out for you [really?]" He bought me my second (or was it third?) pint of cider of the night, and said it's a great thing I'm doing, taking the kids around the world (some days, I have my doubts, like the other day when I gave Finley a 'time out' at the Cliffs of Moher. I made him stand with his nose against O'Brian's Tower). Pat and I enjoyed watching German students opposite us who were singing American songs a capella. Pat commented on one kid's hair (a blonde with front-swept silky strands who was around 18 years old): "Yee have the most parfect fockin' hair – like Luke Skywalker," he said. Later, Pat got philosophical, whether fueled by Guinness, circumstance, or both. He said, "I admire what yee're doin'... and yee're fockin' gorgeous. If yee lived in Ireland, I'd get down on my knee right now and ask yee to marry me."
New occupation - bartender in Dingle

I don't live in Ireland. I don't really live anywhere at the moment, except on the road and in my head. I'm happy to report I'm still above ground. And I feel it's my duty – to myself, my kids and to Sean – to live fully. It can be a pleasure, especially in Dingle – especially at a place called Dick Mack's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th