Skip to main content

Do "Thee" Have Church There?

Do "Thee" Have Church There?
-Sunday, August 29th
Port St. Lucie, Florida

I told my kids, Fiona and Finley (ages 6 and soon-to-be-5), we were going to church. Fiona asked, "Are we going home to Spokane?" I told her, "No, they have church here in Florida, too."


"Oh," said Finley, "Do thee [they] have church in every world?" Yes. "Africa, too?" Uh-huh. "New Zealand?" Yes, they do. While I don't know much about the denomination I've grown up in (The Episcopal Church in the U.S., part of the Anglican Church worldwide), I do know you can find this particular version of church in nearly every country. According to Wikipedia: "...With over eighty million members the Anglican Communion is the third largest Christian communion in the world, after the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church." That means the kids and I should be able to find old and familiar just about anywhere, even though we could never replicate the history and love we share with members of our home parish, St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Spokane.


Why does it matter? For one thing, because we'll be on the road for so long, we'll need faith communities along the way. A year-long journey does not a beach vacation make. And even for those of us whose knowledge of the bible, theology, philosophy, etc...can be measured in pinches and teaspoons, church is grounding. It's a place where they have to take you in. Last week, at St. Andrew's Episopal in Ft. Pierce, Florida, I sang the same hymns, said the same prayers, listened to the same bible verses as I've heard since I can remember. One of the lessons (from Hebrews 13) talked about hospitality, which is something we've received in bulk since Sean got sick last September. We're especially reliant on hospitality during our travels. The verse includes these words: "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it..." We are neither strangers to those who've hosted us, nor are we angels (just ask anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes with Finley, or with me, for that matter), but still, I have witnessed Christ-like love from so many people, the verse holds special meaning.


The priest during his sermon talked about a church he'd visited (incognito) where no one welcomed him. He said he later shared that story with others who'd remarked they'd sat in that same church (those folks were all talking about different parishes). His point was that we've all entered the non-welcoming church, and who wants to be part of that? The 60-or-so worshippers at St. Andrews applauded their visitors (us), which may be something they do routinely.

Even in a new place, some things remained the same: the kids drew on the church bulletins during the entire service; they trotted to the back of the aisle to deposit a dropped quarter in the collection plate like they knew what they were doing; they eagerly sipped communion wine and then told me they, "...didn't get a big enough drink."

The kids were delighted to learn St. Andrews also had post-service cookies (Oreos and apricot danish). An elderly member, trying to be helpful, pulled away a nearly-finished pot of coffee and spilled about a half-cup of hot liquid on my hand (no harm done). An 8-year-old girl shared her bendy bracelets with Fiona and Finley. Two other church members inquired, with genuine interest, about our travels.

We drove a half-hour in a rainstorm because my worship/community tank was running a bit empty. Why I would seek comfort in church is still a mystery for me, one to explore another time, since I have a bone (an entire skeleton) to pick with God, but I digress...
 
Thank goodness I could refuel in a new, yet familiar place. Thank goodness the people inside were gracious. You never know when the stranger will come to your church/workplace/soccer team. I pray we all find a heart for hospitality.

Comments

  1. Excellent sermon, Dawn. Our hearts are the best places to welcome strangers - the rooms they walk into should be even easier to offer hospitality. We're sending you "welcome home vibes" wherever you walk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Murder House

Murder House (MUH-dah House) The deed is done              “I don’t wanna go to the dentist. It’s gonna hurt,” says Fiona. I can hardly deny my eight-year-old the truth, but I can tiptoe around it.             “They’re going to rub medicine on your gums to numb them,” I tell her. “And they can put your tooth to sleep with a needle.”             Fiona gasps, “I don’t want a needle! No!” Oops. I shouldn’t have used the “n” word. Fiona starts her high-pitched screeching if she thinks a needle exists in the next room. When I got the kids immunized in preparation for dragging them round-the-world, Fiona cried as the nurse swabbed her upper arm with iodine. You would’ve thought someone was whacking off her limb with a rusty saw, yet the needle lay feet from Fiona’s body. New Zealand is not the place for dental work for a squeamish, sobbing little girl. I learned after bringing Fiona to a dental clinic during the Christmas school vacation (otherwise known as summer holidays) that sch

The Affair

The Affair Ohope Beach, NZ I had an affair last week. I’m not ashamed to tell you, either. It was sweet and sad. It made me laugh, cry, sigh and dance in my chair to James Brown and Rupert Holmes. My Kiwi PAHT-nah, Pete, even facilitated the tryst, though neither of us knew what to expect beforehand. Pete watched the kids while I was gone for five nights. Five whole nights.  No kids. No TV. No partner.  I enjoyed a dalliance with my late husband, Sean (though I should write instead, ‘dead husband,’ because Sean hated being late). It happened in a wood-paneled house across the street from the ocean, in Ohope Beach, New Zealand. I attended a writer’s retreat to work on the memoir. I revised six sections totaling more than 40,000 words. In the course of revising- subtracting old text and adding entries from letters Sean had written me when we first started dating, plus journal entries he wrote around the time Fiona was born - I fell in love again. With Sean’s openn

Jumping Off a Cliff

 I jumped from a cliff in Oregon last Friday. Actually, I ran straight off. There was nothing unpleasant about that particular patch of grass high above Oceanside. But standing with my feet planted on the ground was preventing me from completing an item on my “bucket list:” flying. Strapped to a harness, an emergency parachute and my instructor pilot, Todd, I launched into my first paragliding experience (for an explanation of what paragliding is, click here): http://discoverparagliding.com/Pages/faq.html#WhatisPG It was glorious. I sat against the back of my chute and felt the wind against my face. I felt birdlike, calm, free. Todd steered over the tops of pine trees and the roofs of houses. I waved to a man on his deck below. I listened to waves crashing against Three Arches rocks and inhaled the salt air. Flinging yourself from terra firma isn’t easy. I could’ve knit a sweater between my knocking knees, I was shaking so much. But the desire to soar triumphed over attachment to th